I had the opportunity to attend the Apologia Real Refreshment Retreat in Atlanta March 22 – 23. This was my second time attending this event. I HIGHLY recommend this time away for homeschool moms. If you are in need of fellowship, encouragement and a time of personal reflection, repentance and renewed vision, this is the place for you. I was surrounded by friends old and new and was encouraged to walk closer to the Savior. The nuts and bolts sessions during the day on Friday are for homeschool how-to/ encouragement. The rest of the retreat is aimed at encouraging mom’s in all the other areas of their life. The theme for this year was based on Philippians 4: 8. “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things” (Philippians 4:8) We had some special prayers times, awesome praise and worship and wonderful sessions taught by godly older women with much experience on the road of Christian womanhood. Here are some things I took away from this weekend.
- My friendships with other women are important
- Personal prayer and meditation do wonders to calm a mother’s heart
- Being refilled and refreshed helps me be a better homeschool mom
- I need to renew my mind with Scripture and remember to think on the good things.
- It is important to also apply these thoughts to my friends and family. (i.e Do I think about the good things they bring into my life?)
There was so much more, but I am so full right now that it is hard to share all that I took away from the weekend. I am a big fan now of short getaways for moms. I think it helps to get out of our comfort zone. I feel like I have so much reflection time and my perspective is put back on the right focus. God is so good to always speak to me in a special way when I take the time to put away the distractions and take some time to listen.