This week we have been scurrying around trying to deck the halls and finish up the shopping. Is it me or did Christmas just slip up on us? Having Thanksgiving so late seemed to make cause me to feel rushed this year. We had an impromptu trip to visit family in the middle of December and when we returned, we found ourselves still having some lights to string in the yard.
My Random Five this week has to do with Christmas
1. We started out the Christmas season early this year in November by walking through a local garden that hosts a Christmas lights display. The walk raises money for the March of Dimes and is the only time that you are allowed to walk through the lights display. It is a five-mile walk and we really enjoyed it even though the weather was unusually warm.
2. I love riding around in the evenings in December looking at lights with my husband and kids. This year we were able to share this tradition with grandparents. I am hoping to go again this upcoming week. There is nothing like piling the kids in the car even in pajamas and listening to Christmas music in the car while looking at the light displays. This is my in-laws house. It was truly beautiful!
3. We have an annual tradition of decorating gingerbread cookies. I grew up making all sort of Christmas treats with my mom. We did sugar cookies, buckeyes, mini cheesecakes and mini pecan pies, etc. I built on this tradition and added gingerbread since it is my hubs seasonal favorite. We are planning to decorate ours on Monday night. I will post pics next week.
4. We also make Christmas goodies for the neighbors and the extended family. This year we are making white chocolate peanut butter Ritz crackers, chocolate chip cookie dough loaves frozen so they can make fresh cookies in January, and some type of chocolate candy or fudge. We might be squeezing this in on Christmas Eve morning. I have to work at the hospital Christmas Eve night this year.
5. I always tape more Christmas movies than I can watch in December. I like to watch them while I wrap presents or snuggle with the kids and drink hot chocolate. It is always a battle in January when David wants to delete them from the DVR and I am just not quite ready for Christmas to be over. LOL! I have saved a couple of movies until March before:)
That wraps up my Random Five pre-Christmas edition. See you next week for more Random Thoughts! If you would like to read more Random thoughts, head on over to Pebble Pond. You can click on the graphic below to read more.