As long as I can remember, my kids and I have loved a recipe we call, “Egg in a Hole.” We take buttered whole wheat bread, cut a hole in the middle of the bread using a cookie cutter or small cup turned upside down and fry an egg inside the whole. Since starting THM almost a year ago, I have learned to adapt some of my old favorites and make them THM friendly. I adapted this breakfast recipe from this Bread in a Mug recipe. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
photo courtesy of aspherical element via Flickr
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp golden flax meal
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- pinch sea salt
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the first seven ingredients in a mug until combined.
- Pour over a greased waffle iron. I spread it thin so it will make two square waffles.
- When ready, cut a hole in the center of the waffle bread with a cup or small cookie cutter.
- Butter the bread and place in a hot skillet.
- Fry an egg in the center of each piece of waffle bread.