I love setting goals. There is something about listing out the things that I want to accomplish on paper that helps me gain perspective on my life. I have been working through some exercises on goal setting in the last several weeks in conjunction with an upcoming review on the 7-Minute Life Planner. This has reminded me how important writing down your goals is to striving toward excellence in life. I have found that if I just keep all those goals and ideas in my head, there is usually not much action taken on them. When I commit them to paper, it is sort of a contract with myself to attempt to meet some of these goals.
When writing the goals down, I have found keeping the acronym SMART in mind also helps me.
S – specific
M – measurable
A – attainable
R – realistic
T – timely
This past week I set the following goals and here is the update on how I progressed. It was rather a busy week for me and I learned some goal-setting lessons that I will share at the end of this post. The goals that were met are marked with the strike through.
- I am going to shoot for being in bed by 10:00 pm with my light out by 10:30 pm. – This was definitely a work in progress. I don’t think I made it to bed but ONE night this week by 10:30.
Adding exercise back into my routine, even if it is only a 10 minute stretching routine– This happened about twice this week. I am going to keep it up one baby step at a time.
- Reading at night before bed. – I didn’t get into bed early enough for this, however I did read in the tub once this week
Keeping a THM food journal to help me stay on track– This happened thanks to the new goal planner I am using.
Continue tweaking Luke’s checklist and help keep him on track– This is working but still taking a lot of encouragement from me. We are using a student logbook that I will share about in an upcoming review. Working in some daily planning time to my routine– This didn’t happen daily, but I was able to have two larger planning sessions that made me feel very accomplished! Grade and file last week’s work– Done and I am liking my new system this year. Hoping that I can keep it up for the long haul. My main goal is not to finish out the year with stacks and stacks of loose paper! Keep Lydia’s preschool time each morning and provide activities for her to do during the boys read-aloud time.I am really enjoying the special time I am having with Lydia each day. It really doesn’t take long and we are just reading good books right now and working through some school readiness books using Sonlight’s P4/P5 curriculum. We are using Get Ready for the Code as well. I gave her some worksheets and educational videos to watch this week when the boys were doing school and she seemed bored with playing alone.
- Sit in with Drew during some of his Pre-Algebra lessons. – I helped him with some percent and fraction equations that he was struggling with, but I didn’t get to sit in on any of the lectures this week.
- Lunch Date with David this week. – This didn’t happen.
- Night time date at home since I don’t have to work at the hospital this week. – This didn’t happen
Take the kids swimming. – We didn’t go to a pool together, however Lydia attended a swim party and the boys attended a party where they had an 18-foot water slide, so technically this goal was met:)
- Go for a walk with the kids. This also didn’t happen. Life got in the way.
Try to take advantage of hidden moments to give each child a little bit of one on one attention. – I was able to bake brownies with Luke and take Lydia to a party, just she and I, but I will have to put Drew at the top of the list next week.
After looking over this list of goals from last week, I noticed that making time for David and myself ended up being the things that got put on the back burner. I am going to have to change that. I know that if I let my priorities get out of whack and live in the tyranny of the urgent, I will quickly lose steam. Here are my revised goals for this upcoming week.
- Keep up with my Beth Moore Bible study, Children of the Day, working on it 5 days a week.
- Exercise three times this week (even 10 minute stretching counts, baby steps here)
- Shoot for getting to bed by 10:30 at least three nights this week.
- Read for pleasure at least 30 minutes, three times this week.
- Take one online class on Project Life/Photoshop Elements that I have been trying to get around to for months (shoot for Tuesday afternoon)
- Keep up to date with my record keeping in my homeschool planner.
- Grade and file all work.
- Add Math to Lydia’s routine this week.
- Begin PE with the boys. Two sessions this week because of Labor Day being a vacation day.
- Evaluate Luke’s progress with Math Facts and create a plan to begin to master them. Determine when multiplication is being introduced in his current math program.
- Set up Drew’s first photo editing class with Anna.
- Attend the homeschool group kickoff picnic on Saturday.
- Spend Labor Day with the family at a water park.
- Birthday party for Drew and my nephew Friday night.
- Tweak evening routine with the addition of karate back into the schedule this week.
- Make a special dessert and plan an at home date for Thursday night after the kids are in bed.
- Take a walk with the kids and the dog on Wednesday.
My first problem that I identified from last week was that I failed to keep the goals in front of me. I do much better if the goals are listed out where I can see them each day. I am planning to print these goals out from this post and keep them in my Bible this week where I will see them each day.
The second problem I identified was not timing the goals. I decided to give specific dates to as many goals as I could this week to see if that would assist me in completing them. I have so many things that I have thought were impossible to accomplish that I now think can be done if I tackle it one baby step at a time. I am going to continue to work through some more goal setting exercises and I will write a post on this in the upcoming weeks. Thanks for letting me share a peek into my life with you. I would love to hear from you what you are working on this week!