Looking for a great fall meal to add to your Trim Healthy Mama menu? Look no further! This hearty fall dish is enough for a crowd and is an easy S meal to throw together in advance. I think it would easily feed twelve. We are a family of 5 and I planned for this recipe to feed us twice, but I think we might actually get three meals out of it.
Start out with a medium-sized spaghetti squash. I picked up mine straight from a pumpkin farm in the mountains. I washed the outside and cut the squash in half.
Place the squash cut side down in a baking pan of water. Place in a 350 degree oven for an hour or until soft.
Now scoop out the flesh of the squash with a fork or spoon and place in a 9×12 baking dish sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
Cut butter into small pats and place on top of squash. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
Combine the browned and drained beef and sausage with the marinara sauce in a large bowl.
Layer on top of the squash.
Top with cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
This recipe made a LOT. You could easily halve this recipe to feed a family of 5 or 6. I would love to hear from any of
you if you try freezing this recipe. I might try using a smaller pan and making two casseroles with this recipe next time. I would freeze one and cook one. I hope you enjoy this as much as my family enjoyed it.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups sugar-free marinara sauce
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 pound italian sausage, browned and drained
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Place cut side down in a baking pan.
- Add a couple of inches of water to baking pan.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for about an hour or until soft.
- Scoop out the squash from the shell with a fork.
- Spray 9x12 baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the cooked spaghetti squash in bottom of pan.
- Top with pats of butter and sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Take browned beef and sausage and combine with marinara sauce in a large bowl.
- Layer over the squash in baking pan.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and dish is bubbly.